Monday, July 11, 2011

Hot Diggity Dog!




This cake was made for a friend of mine that was having a hot dog themed party.  It was my first 3D cake ever, so I was a little nervous to make it!  The entire piece was made out of cake including the hotdog and french fries.

I started out by using an 8" square to make the base of the cake.  I covered the entire base with white fondant and then cut out red squares and attached it to the base to make the checkered affect.

The hot dog and hot dog bun were made by using a loaf pan.  I cut out the center of the loaf to create the bun and kept the center piece to mold out the hotdog itself.  I covered the hotdog bun with brown fondant and painted water mixed with brown food coloring onto the bun to give it some texture.  I made the hotdog by crumpling pieces of cake and mixing it with icing.  I shaped the hotdog and placed it Saran wrap and stuck in the freezer for about 30 minutes. After the hotdog was firm, I wrapped it fondant and placed the hotdog in the bun and topped it off with mustard colored buttercream.

The french fries where simply pieces of yellow cake that I toasted in the oven to give it a nice crisp look.

I was very happy it only took me 1 attempt to make my first 3D cake.  I thought it turned out pretty well considering I don't have an air brush yet.  I hope to get my first air brush system in the near future.  Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment