Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Gibson




The cake was for a 12th birthday party.  It was a red velvet cake filled with chocolate ganache.  Everything on the cake was completely edible except for the toothpicks that held the tuning pegs in place.  I do not currently own an airbrush so I had to make do with what I had.

I started out by baking a half sheet cake and then putting it in the refrigerator over night.  This allowed the cake to be firmer before I carved it out.  The next day I carved out the body and neck of the guitar and torted it so I could add the filling.  I covered each piece in buttercream and put it back in the refrigerator to set.  Then, I covered the body of the guitar in an orange/brown fondant and used black color mist to shade the sides of the guitar.  After that was done I covered the neck of the guitar in a chocolate brown fondant and assembled the two pieces together.

To make the details on the cake I drew out stencils on a piece of paper and placed them on top of my fondant so I had a guide to cut around.  I made the guitar strings using a press.  This was actually the hardest process.  The press was difficult to use because you really had to use your entire strength to try and squeeze the fondant through the holes.  The other challenge was I had to make sure my strings were long enough and did not break while I was squeezing fondant through the press.  Even though I did get a great workout making the guitar strings I felt the extra effort was worth the outcome.

I truly enjoyed making this cake.  The best part for me about the whole process was delivering the cake to the birthday girl and seeing her reaction when she saw it for the first time.  This is why I love what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment