Saturday, June 18, 2011

Aloha Oe!



This cake was made for my parents' friend having a surprise Luau for his 60th birthday party.  This cake was a half sheet red velvet cake filled with chocolate cream cheese.

The entire cake was iced with buttercream.  I added texture to the sides of the cake and added graham cracker crumbs all around to create a sand effect.  I also added texture to the top of the cake to create waves and used blue color mist to color the water blue.

The Hibiscus was made using royal icing that I piped in a flower form.  My intent was to make about 6 or 7 Hibiscuses for this cake, but they did not dry in time.  I was only able to salvage 1 out of my whole batch and I was bummed because they came out beautifully.  As back up, I made Plumeria flowers out of fondant and some yellow flowers out of royal icing.

The palm trees where all piped using buttercream along with the leaves for the flowers.  I used a rose petal tip to make the trunk of the trees and a large leaf tip to make the branches of the palms.

No comments:

Post a Comment