Sunday, August 7, 2011

Transformers Party Part II


Part II of Jayden's 7th Birthday celebration was at his house with family and friends.  That morning I took a topsy turvy class and decided to gear the cake towards Jayden's party at night.  Originally this class was designed for a very girly cake with stripes, polka dots, and a flower bouquet topper.  I asked the instructor if it was okay if I did my own design and explained to her that I was going to give it to Jayden for his party.  It's always nice to know that your cake is going to be used during a special occasion instead of sitting at your house going to waste.

From the angle of these pictures you cannot really tell the cake is topsy turvy.  I made a few errors for my first time attempting this cake.  My first mistake was I did not make my layers thick enough to see a dramatic effect.  I should have made my layers thicker so there was more cake to shave off.  Secondly, I made my cake a little to soft so I had to trouble shoot and place the cake in the freezer for about 30mins. after I crumb coated it.  A more dense cake would work much better for this style of cake since you have to tort the cake at an angle.  If it's too soft the cake will just crumble.

I decorated the bottom layer of the cake using 1 inch diamonds I gradually decreased the diamonds to a single line on the "turvy" side of the cake.  The second layer had hand cut flames to follow the theme of Optimus Prime that was standing on the top of the cake.

Keep an eye out for my next topsy turvy cake in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully I learned from my mistakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment