Sunday, August 7, 2011

Polka Dot Baby Boy


I made this cake and 3 dozen polka dot cupcakes for my friend's sister's baby shower.  She is expecting her first boy, "Connor" in October and the theme of the shower was blue and brown polka dots.  My friend gave me a picture of a baby in a box cake and wanted me to make a cake similar incorporating the theme of the party.

The cake was a 6" round cake.  The base and lid the box where all made out of cake covered in fondant and the baby was made out of all fondant with sugar eyes and a face drawn on with edible marker.  At first I was having trouble with the lid of the box because the cake was sinking into the baby's head.  My husband actually help me trouble shoot this one.  He suggested putting the cake on a board so it would not sink.  Hmm, why didn't I think of that?  Probably because of my lack of sleep, but thank God for him it solved my dilemma.  So I decided to cover the same size board as the cake in fondant and place the cake on top it, it worked perfectly.  Before placing the lid back on the cake I added 2 dowels to the back of the cake and 1 dowel down the baby's head to support the weight of the lid.  The lid looked so much neater once it was complete and I was a happy camper again.

The cupcakes were decorated with different circle pieces to match the theme of the party.  Connor's aunts made a very cute back drop of different size brown and blue circles cascading down behind the candy bar.  The cake and cupcakes where in the center of the candy bar on a glass tier and everything tied together perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment